Smoking kills. By now, everyone already knows the dangers of smoking, especially on the lungs. What most people don’t know, however, is that even nonsmokers can be diagnosed with lung cancer because of exposure to radon. Yes, secondhand smoking is not the only thing to worry about. It’s the level of radon in your own home.
When it comes to the air you breathe, there’s no saying whether you are safer inside or outside the house. Inside, the vents may be circulating air with poor quality that can trigger allergic reactions. Add to that an unmonitored level of radon, which could be making you sick, and you have an unsafe environment. Aerolite Group noted that radon testing is part of homebuying that you should never take for granted, especially because of the serious repercussions.
One family in Austin found that the level of radon was way above the allowable limit, and they were forced to leave in the middle of the night. The same thing can happen in any Utah house.
The Things You Cannot See
Radon is unfortunately invisible. You will not notice anything wrong with your basement, where radon usually collects. Test kits themselves require that you close your doors and windows for over 90 hours, just to get accurate readings. When you’re going about your day to day chores, you may not notice anything wrong. But when you start noticing breathing difficulties from anyone living at home, that’s the time to worry. Don’t hesitate to call your doctor for an appointment to be sure.
Lung cancer is a big blow for anyone who doesn’t smoke, and it’s a bigger blow when you realize it’s your own house that has made you sick.
There is no single reason that radon accumulates in a home. The randomness of it all should be enough to make you more careful and mindful of chemical levels at home.